Wednesday, May 26

13 Weeks 3 Days

We finally saw my OB for the first time at 13 Weeks 3 Days. I didn't have any OB before I found this doctor based on extensive internet research. So I had to ask my family doctor for a referral to my OB. My husband went with me to the OB appointment. I was expecting to get my first ultrasound in 6 weeks, and I wanted my husband with me to see it. But little did I know my OB didn't even have ultrasound equipment in his office. Nor did I know that my family doctor was supposed to make an appointment for prenatal screen testing. By the time we saw the OB, I was already at 13 weeks 3 days. We wanted to have screen testing done, and our OB told us that in order to get IPS done, the first round of tests must be done before I reach 13 weeks 6 days. I only had 3 days to make the deadline. (Note to you first-time moms: If you're getting a referral to an OB like I did, make sure to ask your family doctor about screen testing before the IPS deadline.)

My OB visit was fairly short. He took my family history, asked about genetic disorders that may run on either side, any history of miscarriages, allergies, early pregnancy symptoms, etc. Near the end of the appointment, he had me lay down on the exam table with a Doppler machine in his hand. At 13 weeks, you'll be able to hear the heartbeat with the Doppler, but he said he usually only finds the heartbeat at this stage of pregnancy 50% of the time. "If I can't find it, it doesn't mean anything is wrong," he reassured me. My husband and I looked at each other and thought the same thing: with our luck, we are the 50% that won't hear anything.

I laid down on the table, cleared my clothes out of the way (to make life more comfortable, I was already wearing maternity jeans at this point), and hoped for that sound I've only heard on TV shows. The doctor squirted that cold jelly stuff on me, and put the Doppler down on my abdomen. Immediately, we heard this weird noise that sounded like a freight train from a distance. He moved the device around for a few minutes, not finding the heartbeat. At one point, he paused, but then said "Nope, that's your own heartbeat." About to give up, he maneuvered the device around again (I didn't think there was a spot he hadn't covered by this point) and suddenly, I heard it. That familiar rhythmic "whooooosh-whooooosh-whooooosh" sound that I've only heard on TV shows where they were doing a prenatal exam. I turned to my husband immediately and said "There it is!". The doctor confirmed with "Yep, that's your baby's heartbeat... 155 beats per minute, very healthy." I couldn't help but smile. I hadn't had any reassurance for 6 weeks that the baby was OK in there, and finally I know I have made it through my first trimester with that beautiful sound. Even though I didn't have an ultrasound that reassured me VISUALLY, that sound was the most beautiful sound I could hear. I was really thankful that for once the odds were WITH us that we found the heartbeat.

I am scheduled for the first round of IPS testing in 2 days. Now that I know the baby is in there, I can't wait to see it on the ultrasound. The last ultrasound I had at 7 weeks showed a pea-sized dot that had no human resemblance. In 2 days, I'll get to see an actual human baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment