Wednesday, April 14

5 Weeks 2 Days (or so I thought)

My life is about to change

Seeing that positive pregnancy test really is surreal. I woke up the Sunday morning of March 14, 2010. I knew that I was supposed to get my period that morning, and as I lay in bed, I debated with myself whether or not I would take the test if I didn't get my period overnight. My debate with myself went something like this:

"Do I really want to take the test, and have it be negative once again, and I've burst yet another bubble? It's barely 10am."

"On the other hand, if I don't take the test now, I'll be wondering for the entire day 'What if... what if... what if..."

"I could just wait til tonight to take it. My period could just be a tad late. It might come during the day later."

"Oh just take it already. If it's negative, it's negative. Life goes on. Try again next month."

"Then again, I'm really sure it's going to be positive..."

And with that last thought, I launched myself out of bed and straight into the bathroom. I've peed on the stick twice before, and twice before the lines I wanted to appear did not appear. So this time as I sat on the toilet looking down at the floor at my pee stick, I waited for the seconds to tick by and the pee creep up on the stick past the results window.

After about 20 seconds, double lines appeared in the results window. I stared at the double lines (still on the toilet) for another 30 or so seconds, wanting to believe what was sitting in front of me but afraid I was reading the instructions wrong. Does double line REALLY mean positive? Maybe one of the double lines is the control line? Wait, there are THREE lines if I include the control line?

After realizing my legs were starting to fall asleep from my sitting position, I got up, washed my hands, and looked at the test one more time, hoping the change to a standing position would clear my head enough to read simple instructions properly. I started to smile when I realized the lines that I wanted to appear really were there. And realization that my life is about to change. And finally, exhillation as I ran from the bathroom to my sleeping husband to shove the stick in front of his face. Once he figured out what he was looking at and what the lines meant, his eyes widened and he hoisted his arms up above his head (still lying down in bed) like he was hoisting the Stanley Cup. I guess in a way, it IS victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment