Wednesday, April 14

7 Weeks 0 Days (or so I thought)

The Second Ultrasound

The day of my ultrasound finally arrived, and i woke up an hour early to drink enough water to get me the full bladder needed for the ultrasound. Since I was supposed to be in my 7th week, the ultrasound should show an embryo and a heartbeat. So my husband came with me to my 10:30am appointment. I got there on time, checked in, and waited for my name to be called. By 10:45am, I was ready to pee my pants right there in the waiting area in front of all the other expectant women and their husbands. My bladder was screaming to be relieved, and I almost wet myself when they finally called my name. I was given a bunch of forms and told to go downstairs to another room to await for the ultrasound. Great, my bladder said.

As I waited in the downstairs room for my name to be called, I flipped through the pieces of paper I was holding in my hand. I recognized one of the pages from my first ultrasound. It was the results that were stapled together that I couldn't see. This time the page wasn't stapled, and I could clearly read the results from my last ultrasound. One sentence jumped out at me, and it made my heart sink. "No gestational sac seen." I pointed it out to my husband, and he asked what that meant. I just shook my head and said "If I'm really that far along, they should have seen the sac last time."

They finally called me in. Once they did the full bladder ultrasound, I finally got permission to relief myself, and came back into the ultrasound room for the ever invasive transvaginal ultrasound. I wasn't sure what they were looking for exactly. But after a few minutes of poking and prodding, they said "You're still very early, so there isn't much to see. You'll need to come back next week for another ultrasound." My husband was undoubtedly disappointed that there was no heartbeat sighting. In fact, there didn't seem to be sighting of any kind.

The technician gave me a piece of paper that had my ultrasound results on it to bring upstairs to my doctor. Unfortunately the piece of paper was folded and stapled again. So I went up to my doctor's office and handed the receptionist the piece of paper, and waited for the doctor to see me.

More than 20 minutes later, the doctor finally came out to see me. She didn't even have a room where we could talk in private. She told me right there in the waiting room that I wasn't as far along as they expected. This time they did see the gestational sac, but no embryo inside. I guess they deduced from the measurement of the sac that I was in fact only 5 weeks and 6 days along, even though calculating from the first day of my last period, I should be at 7 weeks. However, I was diagnosed with PCOS, which means I don't ovulate regularly. And I definitely don't ovulate 14 days into my cycle. Given all these parameters, I am really at 5 weeks 6 days. It was like rewinding your life and going back in time. I thought the last week or so since I found out I was pregnant had gone by slowly. And now I'm regressing even more!

They scheduled me for another ultrasound a week and a half later on April 6th. Which should put me at the REAL 7 weeks (and 4 days). And by then, there should be a heartbeat to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment