Wednesday, April 21

7 Weeks 4 Days

Telling The Parentals

Most new parents-to-be don't want to spread the good news until after the first trimester. As we all new mom-to-be's know, right after seeing that positive pregnancy test, the next time we reach for is the computer and google "when can we tell people we're pregnant". And the resulting page searches all tell you that miscarriages happen most often in the first 12 weeks. And because there is still uncertainty as to why miscarriages happen, there is no tell-all sign that you are at risk for one (some say smoking/drinking may attribute to having a miscarriage). Since I'm neither a smoker or a drinker, my husband and I debated long and hard about when to call up the parentals and tell them the good news. We (well, I) decided to tell them once the ultrasound comes back with a good sighting of the tadpole and a heartbeat.

So after getting just that very ultrasound at my 7 weeks 4 days appointment, I went home after my appointment and logged into my computer. I scanned a copy of the ultrasound, and emailed it to my mom and sister, with a very simple paragraph saying "I know you've been busy lately, so here's a picture to cheer you up!" I attached the picture, and pressed Send. My sister, having received the email on her iPhone, emailed me back almost immediately saying "OH MY GOD ARE YOU PREGNANT??!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!" It took my mom a little longer (that evening) to get the email and call me. As soon as I picked up the phone, she yelled into my ear like she was in the same room, "Are you really pregnant???!!!" I confirmed. And the congratulations began, stopping only a few seconds later to begin telling me what I can and cannot eat. What I can and cannot do.

My husband's parents' reactions were quite comical. My husband began the phone conversation asking both parents to be on the phone (which I'm sure aroused suspicion because he never talks to them both at the same time). He then started them talking about chinese names and how you come up with the right name for a baby. His parents explained the male lineage and how their family line uses a particular word for a boy and another one for a girl. Then my husband tells them "Well, however you come up with the name, you have about 8 months to come up with one."

There was not even a full one second pause before his father exclaimed "HUH??!! YOU'RE REALLY PREGNANT????" As my husband said yes, the mother started screaming into the phone... "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" She screamed longer than I could hold my breath! After the screaming came the happy tears. She was just so happy to hear this news, and it was so much fun to hear her reaction. I wish I had been there in person to see her scream!

The next 3 calls to the rest of his family (3 older sisters) were a little less eventful, although all were thrilled with the news. 2 of them already have kids of their own, so they know what the feeling is like. I got immediate offers of hand-me-down maternity wear, which I gladly accepted.

So far we are only telling immediate family. Aunts, uncles, and cousins do not know yet. We are waiting a few more weeks to tell the rest of the family. We are going to wait til after the first trimester to tell friends and colleagues. We plan on telling my cousin and 2 close friends by 10 weeks. It will be fun to see their reaction face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment