Wednesday, April 14

6 Weeks (or so I thought)

The Symptoms Begin

So I had already gotten one of the common pregnancy symptoms... gas. As the days continue to tick by before my first ultrasound appointment, I was getting more symptoms. I never actually threw up, but I did get nauseated. And it would occur any time of day (as we all know, morning sickness is not restricted to mornings). I would also feel very full and bloated one minute, and the next I would be hungry. I found myself eating less at lunch and dinner times. My husband began to put less and less on my dinner plate, knowing I wouldn't be able to finish it all. I would eat a few bites, and then feel really full. And of course, there's the gas issue again. As unladylike as it sounds, I began to fart a lot more than usual, and I wasn't hiding either. My excuse: "I'm pregnant". I figure I would be able to get away with a lot using that excuse for the next 9 months.

On top of the gas, bloating, farting, nausea, and lack of appetite, I also got a few nosebleeds. Apparently nosebleeds are quite common for pregnant women. Sometime about the increase blood flow and dillating blood vessels. I don't know the medical reasons behind it, but I always got them in the morning as I was waking up. I launch myself out of bed as I feel a river of blood is ready to pour down my nose. I manage to grab a kleenex and shove it in place before the dam open up each time. The intensity of the nosebleed varied. The first time was fairly light, and the 2nd time was pretty light as well. I guess I'm lucky I get them at home and not in public. But it is no less annoying. Several websites say dabbing some vaseline just inside your nose may prevent these nosebleeds. Apparently this will prevent the mucous membrane from drying out and the blood vessel from bursting. Hey, if all I need to prevent the river of blood is to shove vaseline up my nose, get me a Q-tip.

And on a grosser note, another common symptom is bringing on another unfortunate side effect. Constipation... bringing on the unfortunate sight of hemorrhoids. I've had hemorrhoids pre-pregnancy, so the sight of blood during a bile movement doesn't freak me out, but I can see other new moms being a little wigged about seeing blood in your toilet bowl. Again, not dispensing any medical advice, hemorrhoids (as far as my research has taught me) is fairly normal in pregnancy. Albeit they are uncomfortable and sometimes painful, they're not a sign of miscarriage, as long as you are SURE where the blood is coming from when you wipe. If it's not your bowel movement that is causing the bleeding, go see your doctor immediately. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your point of view) it's definitely hemmorrhoids for me. And the only remedy I use that really works is to eat more green leafy vegetables to help the bowels along. I have definitely felt a bit "backed up" since finding out I'm with child. Eating more fruits and veggies is not only healthy for the baby, it will make your bowels happier. And hence, less hemorrhoids and surprises in the toilet bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment